The Golden Shield School, also known as American Ridge School was established in 1891. It was also often called the Harland school, for the family who homesteaded the area in 1885. Manford W. Harland gave the land to the school district for the schoolhouse 1891. The original structure was replaced in 1918-1919. The school was located near two pine trees west of Highway 99 near the Garrett place (former Harland place).
Interesting Fact: The early teachers were provided room and board by the Harlands whose home was only ¼ mile from the school.
The school was consolidated in 1939 with the Troy School District #31.
Click here to return to Troy Historical School Districts.
Click here to return to Home Page.