Although Anderson, also known as Little Bear Creek School, District #53 was officially formed in 1899, old timers in the area thought there was a school earlier then that. The school was located east of Johnson Road and south of Watermill Road.
The school district was consolidated with Troy School District #31 in 1936.
Fred Hecht bought a bus (pictured below) and the parents paid him to transport their children to school in Troy.
In the early 1940’s the schoolhouse was purchased for $100 and moved to Gust Granlunds farm and changed into a machine shed.
Interesting Fact: Most children were Norwegian or Swedish. The teacher had a difficult time teaching them English, even though they were only allowed to speak in their first language during recess.
Click here to return to Troy Historical School Districts.
Click here to return to Home Page.